Monday, June 15, 2009

The Works of God

I've been thinking about starting a blog just for Hunter for awhile now. I need a forum to talk about what Hunter's life is like (and also mine as the caregiver) day to day. I try to keep things light and happy on our family blog, but sometimes the real scoop doesn't fall under the "light and happy" category. Hunter's life has been a combination of some low valleys and some beautiful mountaintops. I need to be able to write frankly about both.

I got the title for Hunter's blog from a talk by President James E. Faust from the October 1984 General Conference. (Incidentally, that is the month and year I was born.) The entire talk is a must read if you are the parent of a disabled child. I want to post a few of my favorite excerpts.

"With a prayer in my heart for understanding, and with some timidity, I speak today concerning parents and children with special problems. I do so because I am persuaded that these extraordinary challenges are, as the Savior himself said, that 'the works of God should be made manifest.' (John 9:3.) How these challenges are met can often be the expression of the very essence of the gospel of Christ."

"I wish to say a word of appreciation for those among us who struggle with handicaps, and impart a message of comfort to their families, especially to the parents. Where in all of the world is the son or daughter of God who is totally without blemish? Is life not worth living if it is not perfect? Do not the people with handicaps also bring their own gifts to life—and to others who are free of those handicaps—in a manner that cannot come in any other way? There is hardly a family without one of its members who might be considered physically or mentally diminished. I have a great appreciation for those loving parents who stoically bear and overcome their anguish and heartbreak for a child who was born with or who has developed a serious mental or physical infirmity. This anguish often continues every day, without relief, during the lifetime of the parent or the child. Not infrequently, parents are required to give superhuman nurturing care that never ceases, day or night. Many a mother’s (and father's) arms and heart have ached years on end, giving comfort and relieving the suffering of her (their) special child."

"Surely more sharing of the burden will contribute to the emotional salvation of the person who is the primary caregiver. Just an hour of help now and then would be appreciated. One mother of a child who is handicapped said, 'I could never dream of going to Hawaii on a vacation; all I can hope for is to have an evening away from home.'"

(Thank you to everyone who contributes to our emotional salvation, one evening at a time.)

"The care of those who are diminished is a special service rendered to the Master himself, for 'inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these … , ye have done it unto me.' (Matt. 25:40.)"

"Those who are close to the handicapped can frequently feel the nobility of the spirits who are confined in differently shaped bodies or who have crippled minds."

I'm grateful to be a member of a church with leaders that, by the power of the Holy Ghost, can deliver Heavenly Father's messages to His children on earth. I was greatly comforted and strengthened by this talk. I believe that Heavenly Father and the Savior are manifest in Hunter. I think others feel this when they spend time with him. I know Hunter has brought something of indescribable, eternal worth to our home. I'm trying to be the kind of mother a perfect child deserves. Thank goodness for the Lord's help with that!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Emily. I've never heard that talk before. It is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it! I love Hunter's blog!

    ReplyDelete